CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Founded in 1995, Marathon Kids is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Austin, Texas. We are on a
mission to get kids moving. Marathon Kids provides young people with the motivation, tools, and
support to live healthier and happier lives. We help kids unlock their potential and adults discover
their inner coach by joining, starting, or supporting a Marathon Kids running club in their home,
school, out-of-school time organization, or camp. Our purpose is to promote and encourage younger
generations to embrace physical activity and combat our country’s growing trend of sedentary
lifestyles. Marathon Kids utilizes multi-sector collaboration, while supporting incremental changes
that lead to long-term healthy behavior adoption. We have continued to grow the program into what it
is today, one of the only evidence-based running/walking programs for children in the country.
Marathon Kids has touched the lives of millions of kids over the years. We implemented new
expanded programming in 2015 and now having running clubs in all 50 states, and are more than half
way to our goal of lacing up 500,000 children nationwide by 2020.
Marathon Kids is governed by a dedicated and diversified volunteer Board of Directors dedicated to
expanding and strengthening the represented expertise. The board is supported by an impressive
Advisory Council representing science, research, finance, strategy, and marketing, and technology.
Under the new leadership of CEO Cami Hawkins Marathon Kids is committed to continuing to build
depth in systems, processes and infrastructure to create a state of the art operating platform.
Marathon Kids is ready to move to the next level. Currently, its annual revenue is in the range of $2.5
million with untapped potential in its annual campaign corporate development.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for creating the vision, mission and strategy for the
development function. This position will report to the CEO, and will serve on the executive
leadership team. He/she will effectively network with high net-worth individuals and within corporate,
foundation, business and non-profit circles to promote philanthropic awareness and a case for support.
The Chief Development Officer will be a chief spokesperson representing the organization to
constituencies, both internal and external. He/she will manage a development team of two, and will
function well in a balanced culture that combines the richness and relevance of programs with the
efficacy of best business practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
• Participate with the CEO, staff, and board of directors to lead the organization’s development
strategies and chart the organization’s course in fund development.
• Create and implement a singular comprehensive strategic development plan for the organization,
outlining specific fundraising enterprises, corresponding revenue targets and addressing annual and
long-term, multi-year fundraising strategies.
• Implement donor cultivation and stewardship strategies resulting in annual campaign growth,
engagement of key constituencies and development of the organization’s fundraising base and
effective solicitation of donors capable of making transformative gifts.
• Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer and other partners to deepen the relationship between
award granting and fundraising, extending the average engagement of awardees, volunteers and
donors with an expressed goal of making Marathon Kids the charity of choice for coaches, volunteers,
and their personal and professional networks.
• Identify, develop and implement a coordinated series of fundraising activities in local markets
addressing key donor segments, using fundraising best practices and consistent with the overall
organizational fundraising strategy.
• Recruit, hire, support, train, coach, assess and supervise fundraising staff. Provide career development
opportunities for all fundraising staff with specific attention paid to the identification and development
of future leaders.
• Coordinate fundraising efforts involving the CEO, leadership and support by creating and driving
processes for donor identification, classification, cultivation and solicitation.
• Regularly scan the market for new business prospects, fundraising opportunities, cause marketing
partners and local leads to promote the Marathon Kids brand.
• Target emerging primary and secondary markets for mission promotion, advertisement for referrals,
volunteer recruitment, fundraising opportunities and new business development.
• Ensure that all organizational internal and external communication is on brand, has consistent
messaging and leverages the Marathon Kids mission.
• Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s
values, mission, vision and plans.
• Work collaboratively with the CEO to coordinate programs and potential national sponsors.
• Serve as a collaborative member of the executive leadership team by participating in establishing
overall goals, policies and a culture of working together to achieve the organization’s mission.
• Team with the finance department to assure sound fiscal operation of the development function
including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and
expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
• Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors
and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for
• Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the CEO.
• Passion, imagination, vision, leadership and integrity.
• A minimum of seven years of major gift fundraising, with individuals/corporations and foundations in
a professional capacity.
• Management experience with increasing levels of responsibility and with direct stewardship of boards
• A demonstrated track record of building a development function including but not limited to annual
fund, major gifts, corporations and foundations, planned giving and events.
• A strategic approach to development with significant experience in cultivating and managing donors.
• A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to strengthen
infrastructure, to inspire staff and the board of directors, and to develop effective programs.
• Exceptional financial, organizational and administrative skills.
• The ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and follow through.
• A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with
and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies.
• A track record as an effective communicator both verbal and written; adept at writing proposals,
solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other kinds of material to enhance fundraising.
• Experience and competency using various development software, i.e. Salesforce, Wealth Engine,
• Position requires a moderate amount of travel and flexible hours.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
• Commitment to the mission and work of Marathon Kids with the credibility and persuasiveness to
secure support from others.
• A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization.
• A high achiever with ability to seize opportunities and realize results.
• An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills.
• A leader who functions effectively; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative,
energetic, and fair minded.
• A decisive and resourceful individual with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of
results; able to work successfully with limited resources.
• A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, with a sensitivity to the feelings and
opinions of others.
• An energetic person who enjoys a collegial environment.